Y: You Don't Have To Be Miserable To Be Serious!


The Wishbone Alphabet – an experiment, of course, with attitude, life and the eponymous soup.

This is one of my favourite quotes, attributed to Eric Morecombe, light entertainer, who wore thick rim dark rectangular glasses just like my Dad’s. Often I have incurred displeasure for not seeming at all studiously glum, and have had cause to flaunt this piece of wisdom. E.g. ‘Sorry, that was an awfully short and self centred post, but it did have a sincere sense of fun with an important underlying message. You don’t have to be miserable to be serious!’


Comments

Stephanie V said…
Absolutely true! Us very serious folks with a sense of humor do get some funny looks in the Board room.
Teresa Cypher said…
:-) Nice post...wonderful quote, Lily! I think it might be human nature for many of us...to feel as though there must be something important, something serious underlying our humor. As if it is validates our seeming lapses into the funny, the tongue in cheek, the rib-tickling absurd. Sometimes my worlds get all sort of mixed up, and I am at work, and I I want to sign emails with smiley faces :-)
Martha said…
Cute photo! Just popping over from the A-Z challenge list before it's too late! I'm a new follower :)
Quite true. Miserable and serious are two distinct emotions. An unloved child is miserable, but a donater to a good cause is serious.


http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Contact Pants Conundrum

The Invisible Importance Of Hats

A: Appreciation For Apples