Sunday Driver



Today was planned. It did not stick to the plan. On Friday, I left Boy on the moors, in a t-shirt and a hailstorm. It’s okay, he was expecting it, and it was a superior t-shirt. We live in a damp cold place, we consider fast wicking windproof thermal waterproofs everyday wear. Sunday pick up time was prearranged, then changed. Twice. I thought I would have finished everything from pesky housework to painstaking artwork, but I didn’t even quaff a coffee till 2pm. It almost got dangerous.


Driving out the second time, I took Dog, as her enthusiasm for life is contagious. There was plenty of life there, including one weary Boy and an ice cream van.
‘Sorry about that,’ he says.
‘If everything goes according to plan,’ I realise, verbally and deep inside, ‘you always know what is going to happen. That would get boring, wouldn’t it?’


Boy points out a wild foal snoozing by a granite boulder. Dog jumps in the river, disturbing a duck.


We go home, and I say to myself, maybe the work will get done, maybe it won’t. 



Comments

Teresa Cypher said…
Lovely post! We have all of our lives to do housework. It can wait. This post made me think of a poem by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton called, "Song for a Fifth Child" The last stanza is so true:

"The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Have a good evening, Lily!
Sounds like a great day regardless of plans or no plans!
Lisa Southard said…
It was a lovely day; cleaning and scrubbing can definitely wait. Boy's a bit for rocking, so we watched a film instead :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Contact Pants Conundrum

The Invisible Importance Of Hats

A: Appreciation For Apples